CNC Guitar Pickup Mini Coil Winder – MK6
7 in stock
55 in stock
Out of stock
- 12 Months Return to base Warranty
- Secure Payments
We are building the first batch of the new Mini Coil winder MK6 this month (November 2023).
Hopefully available before Xmas!
The Mini Coil Winder has been designed to mainly do Guitar Bobbins (Pickups) that use thin wire and we will be supplying it with a bobbin wheel mounted directly on the motor shaft.
We have been meaning for a couple of years now to update the Mini Coil Winder to give it more speed and introduce some other enhancements such as ballscrew on the traverse and mini wire guide, but we have been so busy with building larger custom machines and keeping up to date with building our other stocked machines that time and resource has just not been on our side. So every time we ran out of the Mini’s we just built another batch to keep people happy.
But now we have designed the Guitar Pickup Mini Coil Winder MK6 !
We have kept the Bobbin Plate which has multiple spacing of M4 threaded holes on the Bobbin Plate, to accommodate most Guitar Bobbins out there and also pockets for magnets.
We no longer supply the magnets, but for anyone wanting to fit their own, the pockets are 10mm diameter and 2mm deep.
The magnets are handy if re-winding a pickup that already has the slugs inserted.
It can be used for semi automatic winding of Guitar Bobbins by just using the bobbin motor and guiding the wire by hand or you can use the fully automated feeder arm that has a incremental resolution of 0.0025mm
The Machine has a small footprint of 220mm x 220mm.
- A combination of 6mm and 10mm tough aluminium plates that have oxidisation treatment applied make up a solid frame.
This stops any unwanted vibration or flex.
- USB controlled using software written for Windows.
- Power supply is now built into the machine and powered by a switched IEC socket on the side of the machine. AC input 110v-240v 50/60 Hz.
Please note that we dispatch with a UK mains plug on the lead. If outside the UK then you will need to cut this off and put a suitable plug onto the lead.
- The controller is now also built into the machine and covered for protection, the USB port, Manual dial and LED status LED’s are accessible through the side panel of the cover.
- New mini wire guide setup that can be adjusted in both horizontal and vertical positions.
- On the bobbin plate assembly and motor, it has now been replaced with a closed loop servo motor and closed loop stepper motor on the feeder/traverse which now drives a C5 ballscrew. No fear of missing steps and smoother/quieter motion, not to mention increased torque.
- Speed can to a maximum speed of 3000+ RPM. As usual we recommend a max speed of 2000 RPM!
- Built in motor shunt circuit that protects the electronics if a motor stall occurs.
- The mini wire guide can be adjusted to use the felt pad to apply tension or can be moved out of the way to allow an external tensioner.
- Ruby tipped nozzle addition like our bigger machines used to the most requested modification that has been requested for years the ability to bring it closer to the pickup being wound. We have listened to this and now it is here!
- For those that want to still manually guide the wire for some pickups, the nozzle and pulley can be dropped down out of the way and a extension can be bolted in place of the felt pad setup.
- As you can also see it uses high quality low profile rails/carriages for the feeder arm and also the revolving tailstock.
- The tailstock can be slid and secured against the bobbin without any flex or movement, securing it in place.
The Mini Coil Winder comes with felt pads that are used for applying tension to the wire, but if you want constant tension then using a tensioner such as the MTCS is an option.
All of our Coil Winding machines are controlled via the USB port of a PC running Windows, along with our custom software that is supplied FREE.
When starting the software you’ll select the coil winding profile for your machine. This will change certain parameters within the software to match the machines resolution. Below is a short list of the different settings.
- Mini Coil Winder – Belt system pitch is 0.0125mm resolution steps with a minimum pitch of 0.0250mm
- 200mm Coil Winder – 0.0003125mm resolution steps with a recommended minimum pitch of 0.01mm
- Quad Coil Winder – Belt system pitch is 0.0005mm resolution steps with a minimum pitch of 0.1mm
- 600mm Coil Winder & Custom – The resolution will be set within the required specification. Contact us for more information.
The software comes with a populate button that will load the built in database with a default set of common guitar pickup bobbins.
Automated Coil Winding Tab
Standard Scripting Tab
The Scripting Engine allows us to have more control over the coil winding process by allowing you to create a series of commands to control bobbin windings and feeder movement.
These commands can be built up and saved as a script for later use.
Creating the commands is very simple by using the GUI interface to choose the options you want for each new command and press the Add Command button
Absolute Scripting Tab
The Absolute Scripting Engine takes advantage of the Flash Memory that comes with the Coil Winder ARM Controller MKII board and can be used for buffering loads of small commands.
This removes any small delays that can be caused by the USB communications latency.
Unlike the Standard Scripting Engine which is Incremental positioning for each command, this is absolute positioning on each command.
It can be used for doing variable pitches not only down to turn level but down to degree level.
3D Coil Winding Simulator
We have also added a 3D Coil Winding Simulator to the software.
Sorry to say this simulator will only run on Windows 10 but the rest of the software will work fine on Windows XP and upwards.
The simulator allows you to check your coil shape before winding.
Here you can use the dial on the controller box and manually control the speed of the bobbin motor while guiding the wire by hand. This allows the machine to be used as a traditional winding machine.
But also you can now manually control the speed of both the bobbin motor and the feeder motor by using the Automated Coil Winding tab controls.
If using the Manual Controller from the Automated Coil Winding Tab then it is not recommended to run the machine full time with the manual speed controller. This is just to be used as a calibration tool, which will let you determine the best speed for winding the particular bobbin with wire you are using.
Once you have found a speed that suits the bobbin and wire combination then you should switch to automatic mode for full winding.
Below are some more screenshots of different areas of the software and the standard scripting engine. There is a video further down showing the capabilities of scripting with a variable pitch being wound.
You are welcome to download the software and install from our website in the download section
Windows 10/IoT UWP Application
This UWP application is currently in BETA and as so is limited to only the automated winding for the time being.
But the beauty of this software is it can be deployed to a SBC Board running windows 10 Core such as the Raspberry pi, this completely removes the necessity of having a full computer rig to communicate with your coil winder.
All information regarding the UWP Application can be found here – UWP Software
Coil Winder ARM Controller MKIII
We have developed a new controller board that uses a fast Arm Cortex M4 processor and brings many enhanced features to the machine.
All machines dispatched from September 2022 onwards will be supplied with the new Arm Controller MKIII.
Upgrade options are available for older machines.
Please note that these new features are still in test mode and will be tweaked in software/firmware as they get tested and we get feedback.
The new ARM Controller MKIII controller still has all the features of the original controller but with the following enhancement’s:
- Manual controller dial now built in on PCB.
- Outputs that can be switch 5 volts to control different peripherals.
- 8 Inputs with 3 of them dedicated for Limit/Homing and Emergency Stop.
- Higher speed pulse trains.
- Opto Isolated inputs can be switched to use 5/12 Volts.
- On board Flash memory that can be used to buffer upto 130000 commands. This allows for very small movements to be sent to the controller with no delay between them from the software’s new Absolute Scripting Engine and build up some fancy windings.
- Fram memory also on board for Flash memory optimization algorithm.
- Firmware now upgraded by flicking a switch and existing USB port. No more JTAG programmer needed.
Follow the link below to view information about our original Mini coil Winding Machine.
Here are some pictures of a wound pickups using our previous Mini Coil Winder, but new pictures of ones created on the MK6 coming soon.
And some pickups wound by our customers:
Free Firmware upgrades and Free Windows Software.
|Dimensions of base plate (L x W)||
220mm x 220mm
|Maximum Stepper motor RPM||
2500 RPM (2000 RPM recommended MAX)
Built in 24V DC power supply. Input 110v-240v 50/60hz
|Maximum bobbin diameter (Height)||
|Feeder max resolution||
|Max feeder travel||
12 Month return to base warranty.