CNC Guitar Pickup Quad Coil Winder – MK2
7 in stock
6 in stock
7 in stock
6 in stock
- 12 Months Return to base Warranty
- Secure Payments
The new Quad Winder is capable of winding four guitar pickups at the same time and ideal for Guitar workshops that need to speed up their production of bobbins.
Just like our popular Guitar Pickup Mini Coil Winder it has multiple spacing of M4 threaded holes on the Bobbin Plate, to accommodate most Guitar Bobbins out there and also pockets for magnets.
We no longer supply the magnets, but for anyone wanting to fit their own, the pockets are 10mm diameter and 2mm deep.
The magnets are handy if re-winding a pickup that already has the slugs inserted.
Where the Mini Coil Winder has 1 bobbin plate, the new Quad Coil Winder has four which are all synchronised.
- High grade C5 ballscrew is used along with precision C5 bearings combined with anti-backlash couplers on each axis.
- Low profile Hiwin style rails for smooth running with no unwanted side movement.
- All of the aluminium plates come with a really attractive finish, as well as bead blast and oxidisation treatment.
- Using solid, thick 10mm plates creates a stable frame that increased accuracy, none of your cheap thing plates to make the machine look fancy used in this design!
- All machines are now fitted with Closed Loop motors on both feeder and bobbin assembly. This increases the torque, accuracy, speed and no loosing steps. Speeds of above 1200 RPM are possible but as usual we always play safe and recommend 1000 RPM as the max speed !
- CE certified and RHOS compliant. Declaration included in setup manual.
- Built in safety features such as Emergency Stop, Limit switches and Safety hood.
- Four Pickups Bobbin Plates.
- Four Rotating Tailstocks that can be locked on precision low profile sliding rail.
- Four Easy flow wire guide using ceramic pulleys, felt pad adjuster and nozzle holder.
- Low cost, accurate machine which allows full control of each Axis down to degree level, to suit your winding pattern using our Scripting Engine within the software.
- Free windows software to control the machine via USB.
- Automated options for traditional winding and also two different Scripting Engines that allow Incremental recipes to be created or Absolute recipes.
- Comes with the ARM Controller MKII board and the latest firmware.
- This is controller is a custom designed to work with our Coil Winding machines and is not available from anywhere else.
Do not get mislead by the pictures making the machine look small.
The size of the machine is 870mm wide and 400mm deep, weighing over 40kg!
It is a solid and robust machine in every aspect of design.
- Dimensions of base plate 870mm x 400mm depth
- Weight approx 43kg
- Max Bobbin Diameter (Height) 85mm
- Max feeder travel approx. 100mm(35mm Between Bobbin plate & Tailstock
- Max speed with Closed Loop Stepper Motor 1200RPM
- Feeder Max resolution 0.0005 mm
- Wire range 0.01mm – 0.3mm (bigger wire sizes supported for single layer)
- Closed Loop Stepper motor on Bobbin and Feeder Motor
- Limit and Homing Switches.
- Emergency Stop button and safety hood (6mm polycarbonate).
- Four Manual Felt Wire Tensioner
- Four wires guides on sliding rails that allow adjustments in X and Y direction.
- Push buttons that interact with the software.
- Powerful onboard PSU with a wide working range Voltage：100-240V Input AC Frequency：50-60Hz
- USB controlled via Windows software (XP and Windows7 , Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 supported)
- Degree control on the motor with speeds as low as 1RPM
- Free Firmware upgrades and Free Windows Software.
- 12 month return to base warranty.
Please see our animated CAD video below that will give an idea of how the machine can be adjusted and ran.
The machine comes with a very simple felt wire tension system to keep the price down.
You would need to build some sort of support bar to guide your wires back to your spools of wire if not using the tensioners.
For small wires the spool of wire can be sat on it’s side and the wire will then be threaded over the top bar and into the back of each Wire guide. It will then go across a porcelain guide wheel, through a set of felt tensioners and through the ruby nozzle.
But we highly recommend using the correct tensioners if within your budget.
All of our Coil Winding machines are controlled via the USB port of a PC running Windows, along with our custom software that is supplied FREE.
When starting the software you’ll select the coil winding profile for your machine. This will change certain parameters within the software to match the machines resolution. Below is a short list of the different settings.
- Mini Coil Winder – Belt system pitch is 0.0125mm resolution steps with a minimum pitch of 0.0250mm
- 200mm Coil Winder – 0.0003125mm resolution steps with a recommended minimum pitch of 0.01mm
- Quad Coil Winder – Belt system pitch is 0.0005mm resolution steps with a minimum pitch of 0.1mm
- 600mm Coil Winder & Custom – The resolution will be set within the required specification. Contact us for more information.
The software comes with a populate button that will load the built in database with a default set of common guitar pickup bobbins.
Automated Coil Winding Tab
Standard Scripting Tab
The Scripting Engine allows us to have more control over the coil winding process by allowing you to create a series of commands to control bobbin windings and feeder movement.
These commands can be built up and saved as a script for later use.
Creating the commands is very simple by using the GUI interface to choose the options you want for each new command and press the Add Command button
Absolute Scripting Tab
The Absolute Scripting Engine takes advantage of the Flash Memory that comes with the Coil Winder ARM Controller MKII board and can be used for buffering loads of small commands.
This removes any small delays that can be caused by the USB communications latency.
Unlike the Standard Scripting Engine which is Incremental positioning for each command, this is absolute positioning on each command.
It can be used for doing variable pitches not only down to turn level but down to degree level.
3D Coil Winding Simulator
We have also added a 3D Coil Winding Simulator to the software.
Sorry to say this simulator will only run on Windows 10 but the rest of the software will work fine on Windows XP and upwards.
The simulator allows you to check your coil shape before winding.
Here you can use the dial on the controller box and manually control the speed of the bobbin motor while guiding the wire by hand. This allows the machine to be used as a traditional winding machine.
But also you can now manually control the speed of both the bobbin motor and the feeder motor by using the Automated Coil Winding tab controls.
If using the Manual Controller from the Automated Coil Winding Tab then it is not recommended to run the machine full time with the manual speed controller. This is just to be used as a calibration tool, which will let you determine the best speed for winding the particular bobbin with wire you are using.
Once you have found a speed that suits the bobbin and wire combination then you should switch to automatic mode for full winding.
Below are some more screenshots of different areas of the software and the standard scripting engine. There is a video further down showing the capabilities of scripting with a variable pitch being wound.
You are welcome to download the software and install from our website in the download section
Windows 10/IoT UWP Application
This UWP application is currently in BETA and as so is limited to only the automated winding for the time being.
But the beauty of this software is it can be deployed to a SBC Board running windows 10 Core such as the Raspberry pi, this completely removes the necessity of having a full computer rig to communicate with your coil winder.
All information regarding the UWP Application can be found here – UWP Software
Coil Winder ARM Controller MKIII
We have developed a new controller board that uses a fast Arm Cortex M4 processor and brings many enhanced features to the machine.
All machines dispatched from September 2022 onwards will be supplied with the new Arm Controller MKIII.
Upgrade options are available for older machines.
Please note that these new features are still in test mode and will be tweaked in software/firmware as they get tested and we get feedback.
The new ARM Controller MKIII controller still has all the features of the original controller but with the following enhancement’s:
- Manual controller dial now built in on PCB.
- Outputs that can be switch 5 volts to control different peripherals.
- 8 Inputs with 3 of them dedicated for Limit/Homing and Emergency Stop.
- Higher speed pulse trains.
- Opto Isolated inputs can be switched to use 5/12 Volts.
- On board Flash memory that can be used to buffer upto 130000 commands. This allows for very small movements to be sent to the controller with no delay between them from the software’s new Absolute Scripting Engine and build up some fancy windings.
- Fram memory also on board for Flash memory optimization algorithm.
- Firmware now upgraded by flicking a switch and existing USB port. No more JTAG programmer needed.
Below are some pickups wound by our customers on the Mini Coil Winder, but the same results can be produced on the Quad Winder, but four at a time!
|Dimensions of base plate (L x W)||
870mm x 400mm
|Maximum Stepper motor RPM||
1200 RPM (1000 RPM recommended MAX)
24V 16amp power supply
|Maximum bobbin diameter (Height)||
0.01mm – 0.5mm (bigger wire sizes supported for single layer)
|Feeder max resolution||
|Max feeder travel||
Max feeder travel approx. 100mm(35mm Between Bobbin plate & Tailstock
12 Month return to base warranty.